Friday, December 14, 2007

Making a Difference in Tahoe

I have lived in the Sierras for 15 years, ever since graduating from UC Davis in '92. I worked in alot of coveted and not so coveted positions, as is typical with a single ski bum looking to just make a living-barely. But as the years went by, I discovered that living, working, breathing just for myself was becoming less attractive and more self-centered. I wanted more, wanted to make a difference. I became involved with Disabled Sports USA Far West last ski season and it affected me in an exhilarating way. For you who are familiar with Alpine Meadows ski area, this is the same program that has historically been known as the Adaptive Ski Program. The longest continuously running adaptive ski program in the US, the Adaptive Snowsports Instruction began at Donner Ski Ranch in 1967 with a small group of Vietnam Veteran amputees. Since then, it has been adopted by the national organization of Disabled Sports USA, a non-profit corporation dedicated to providing year-round sports and recreation opportunities to people with disabilities. In addition to snowsports, Disabled Sports offers adaptive summer programs in water skiing, cycling, golf, white water rafting, camping and 4wd adventures. I am so honored to be a part of such a life-changing, attitude-affecting group; I was a witness to it's affect on the faces of the students I helped assist, their smiles widening as a break-through was made, snow was touched for the first time, or the sensation of sliding down the hill exploded into giggles. I volunteered as an on-hill volunteer, assisting the PSIA trained instructors during lessons, and learned more about compassion, sensitivity, goal-reaching, flexibility and communication during those 7 or 8 lessons than I have during my entire adult life. Truly, it feels more of a gift to me than to the students I helped! I am currently on a clinic track to equip me with the skills to teach stand-up skiers within the program. I am excited to have this new opportunity within reach, and can't wait to begin this new season making a difference in more lives!

Disabled Sports USA is a non-profit corporation dedicated to providing unique experiences to people with all disabilities, including physical, cognitive, or sensory disabilities. To learn more about volunteer or employment opportunities, or if you or someone you know would like to learn more about the different programs and how to sign up for them, go www.DisabledSports.net, or call (530) 581-4161.

No comments: